The back of Oliver’s toasted oats box has some “wake up your brain” riddles on it. I was surprised at how hard some of them were. It took several meals for us to get them all. But it was kind of fun, too. So I thought I would share. I have typed them exactly as they appear. Take your guesses and I’ll post the answers on Sunday.
1. What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries?
2. You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What did you eat?
3. Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?
4. I have holes in my top and bottom, my left and right, and in the middle. But I still hold water. What am I?
5. I’m light as a feather, yet the strongest man can’t hold me for much more than a minute. What am I?
6 (The Early Riddle Challenge!) A long, long time ago, two cowboys were fighting to marry the daughter of the OK Corral rancher. The rancher, who liked neither of these men to become his future son-in-law, came up with a clever plan: A horse race would determine who sould be allowed his daughter’s hand. Both cowboys had to travel from Kansas City to the OK Corral , and the one whose horse arrived LAST would be proclaimed the winner.
The two cowboys, realizing that this could become a rather lengthy expedition, finally decided to consult the Wise Mountain Man. They explained to him the situation, upon which the Wise Mountain Man raised his can and spoke four wise words. Relieved, the two cowboys left his cabin: They were ready for the contest! Which four wise words did the Wise Mountain Man speak?
7. In a marble hall white as mil, lined with skin as soft as silk. Within a fountain crystal-clear, a golden apple doth appear. No doors there are to this stronghold, yet thieves break in to steal its gold. What am I?
8. What belongs to you but others use it more than you do?
9. When one does not know what it is, then it’s something; but when one knows what it is, then it’s nothing. What am I?